The following is not an exhaustive list of all of the many programs that provide opportunities for Americans to teach in China. However, all of the organizations on the list are known to the National Committee and we feel confident recommending them.

1251 Virginia Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Phone: 540-432-6983
Fax: 540-434-5556

The China Educational Exchange is a program of the Mennonite and Mennonite Brethren churches in North America. Its primary function is to place North American teachers in teaching positions in Chinese universities, usually in Henan and Sichuan provinces. CEE teachers normally serve for two-year terms or longer, though the organization also places teachers for five-week terms of service each summer.

300 Fore Street
Portland, ME 04101
Phone: 1-207-553-4000
Fax Number: 207-553-4299

In addition to its study abroad program, CIEE also runs a Teach in China Program. College graduates can spend half a year to a full year teaching English in Chinese elementary, middle schools, high schools or universities in urban or town locations in eastern China. Accommodation and local salary are provided. Previous teaching experience is not required.

Jonathan Akeley, Program Manager for East Asia and Pacific
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017-3580
Tel: 212-984-5330 (main)
Tel: 212-984-5487

The Fulbright Scholar Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is administered by the Council for International Exchange of Scholars. Fulbright grants are made to U.S. citizens and nationals of other countries for a variety of educational activities, primarily university lecturing, advanced research, graduate study and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. Approximately 70 Fulbright full grants are made each year for scholars interested in China. For lecturing awards, full and associate professors are preferred.

Peace Corps
1111 20th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20526
Phone: 1-800-424-8580

The Peace Corps program is located within four regions of Western China: Sichuan, Guizhou, Gansu, and Chongqing, where Peace Corps volunteers work at colleges and universities. Currently 114 Volunteers are teaching English in more than 62 universities, including five medical colleges and four vocational colleges. Peace Corps Volunteers are known as "U.S.-China Friendship Volunteers" to their students and colleagues. Common classes assigned to Volunteers include: Oral English, Listening Comprehension, Reading, Writing, Literature and Linguistics. Secondary projects instigated by Volunteers include English resource centers, radio shows, movie nights, sports clubs and women's clubs. Volunteers have created a website where they are able to exchange teaching ideas, lesson plans and methods.

Princeton University
194 Nassau St. Suite 212
Princeton, NJ 08542 Phone: 609-258-3657, 609-258-5358
Fax: 509-275-1823

Princeton-in-Asia provides young Americans with various opportunities to live and work in Asia. China is PiA’s oldest and largest program, with nearly 20 interns in 9 cities teaching at both the middle school and university level.

Volunteers in Asia
1663 Mission Street, Suite 504 San Francisco, CA 94103 Phone: 415-904-8033

Volunteers in Asia is a private, non-profit, non-sectarian organization that sends between 30 - 40 English teachers to Indonesia, Laos, Vietnam and China each year. China volunteers live and work at universities and colleges across the country. One way in which VIA sets itself apart is through posts that allow volunteers to spend time working at a local Chinese nonprofit organization. These English resource positions give volunteers an opportunity to contribute to development work in China and learn more about the growing phenomenon of NGOs in China. Another way VIA sets itself apart in China is by cooperating with schools which otherwise have difficulty finding foreign teachers, due to their remote location or insufficient funds. At some posts, VIA volunteers are the only foreign teachers at their school. As such, their contributions and presence tend to be highly valued and appreciated by their host institutions, their students and the community at large. Some posts are also located in rural areas, giving volunteers a unique and timely opportunity to live in a part of China which many foreigners never get to experience.


Center for International Development
Harvard University
79 JFK Street, Box 122
Cambridge, MA 02138-5705
Phone: 617-495-5527
Fax: 617-495-1599

WorldTeach is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based at the Center for International Development, which provides opportunities for individuals to contribute to international education by living and working as volunteer teachers in developing countries. Teachers are placed at educational institutions in Hunan Province.

442 Temple Street
Box 208223
New Haven, CT 06520-8223
Phone: 203-432-0880
Fax: 203-432-7246

The Yale-China Association selects qualified Yale graduates to undertake two-year assignments as teaching fellows in Hong Kong and mainland China. Teachers are placed at Chinese University of Hong Kong, or at educational institutions in Changsha (Hunan province), Xiuning (Anhui province), or Guangzhou (Guangdong province).